While more than half of Americans live through a traumatic event in their lifetimes, many don’t get help afterward. Why? Good trauma therapy can be difficult to access, even for those who want and need help.
Researchers at the University of Vienna have compiled a list of the top reasons people either can’t access mental health treatment after trauma:
- It’s too expensive
- They don’t have time for therapy
- They don’t know where or how to get help
- Therapy isn’t covered by their health insurance
- Barriers like language prevent them accessing therapy
- Their family or friends don’t support getting therapy
How can you tackle post traumatic stress if you can’t get access to therapy? Written Exposure is a clinically proven alternative to talk therapy to address PTSD. You write in a private place, in your own language, and you can even burn your paper once you’re done.
Can’t access therapy for trauma or PTSD? Try Detrauma instead.