While more than half of Americans live through a traumatic event in their lifetimes, many avoid PTSD therapy afterward. Are they just being stubborn or is it not right for everyone?
Researchers at the University of Vienna have compiled a list of the top reasons people avoid getting mental health treatment after trauma:
- They want to solve their own problems
- They don’t believe in psychotherapy
- People might think they’re weak
- They don’t want to talk to a stranger about their feelings
- They don’t want others to know about their problems
- Talking about trauma is scary
- Therapy could damage their career
- They’ve had bad experiences with counselling before
- Their family or culture doesn’t encourage therapy
- They don’t trust the mental health system
Written Exposure as an Alternative PTSD Therapy
How can you tackle post traumatic stress if you don’t want to talk to a therapist? Written Exposure Therapy is a clinically proven alternative to address trauma. You write in a private place, in your own language, and you can even burn your paper after you’re done. Research shows that these writing exercises are equally or more effective than face-to-face psychotherapy to tackle the symptoms of post traumatic stress. With Detrauma, you’ll get all five 30-minute writing sessions for 5 dollars, without therapy.
See also: 6 reasons people can’t get therapy for PTSD.
Not interested in talk therapy for trauma or PTSD? Try Detrauma instead.